Bone marrow transplant is used in treating patients with blood disorders and different types of cancers. India has become one of the most favored destinations for medical tourism because of all the advanced medical facilities and reasonable treatment costs. The cost of allogenic bone marrow transplant in India is Rs.976800 to Rs.1302400.
What is allogenic bone marrow transplant?
A process in which healthy stem cells are given to a patient to replace their own stem cells, which have been lost due to radiation treatment or aggressive chemotherapy. The healthy stem cells used in an allogeneic bone marrow transplant are taken from the bone marrow of a related donor who is neither the patient’s identical twin nor from an unrelated donor who shares the patient’s genetic makeup.
Who needs to undergo allogenic bone marrow transplant?
Several malignant and non-cancerous disorders can be treated with an allogeneic stem cell transplant such as Chronic leukaemia, Aplastic Anaemia, syndromes of bone marrow failure, persistent leukaemia, hemoglobinopathies, Lymphoma of Hodgkin, immune disorders, amyloidosis, nodular lymphoma and many others.
How allogeneic bone marrow transplant is done?
- Chemotherapy and occasionally radiotherapy are given to the patient as part of a conditioning programme before an allogeneic stem cell transplant. To eliminate any leftover cancer cells in the body, this conditioning therapy is administered.
- In order to prevent the body from rejecting the donor cells after the transplant, this helps to weaken the patient’s immune system. Also, it enables the donor cells to travel through the bone marrow, where they will start to multiply and create new red blood cells, platelets, and white blood cells. “
- In allogenic bone marrow transplant blood stem cells or bone marrow will be infused one to three days after the last chemotherapy or radiation dose. The days after the transplant are being counted.
- If a transplant is successful, donor stem cells can take the place of bone marrow stem cells. It could also provide the patient’s ailment the sole long-term solution.
- The creation of a new immune system by the transplanted cells after they engraft in the patient is one of the advantages of allogeneic stem cell therapy.
What factors determine the cost of allogenic bone marrow transplant?
The cost of bone marrow transplant depends on various factors such as:
- Hospital location: Hospital location can significantly impact the entire cost, metropolitan cities always charge more fees.
- Diagnostic test: Blood tests, imaging scans consultations also add to the total cost of treatment
- Duration of hospital stay: Cost is impacted by the length of stay, which varies based on the patient’s health and rehabilitation. The cost of nursing care, and other medical services may be extra.
Allogenic bone marrow transplant cost in India is very low as compared to other countries. The cost of allogenic bone marrow transplant in Turkey is USD 52000 to USD 78000.
In Thailand the cost is USD 44000 to USD 66000. In Germany the cost is USD 240000 to USD 360000 and in Israel the cost is USD 128000 to USD 192000 which is approximately 627% higher than India.
Some of the best hospitals in India for allogenic bone marrow transplant are:
Fortis Hospital, Noida-A prominent hospital in India noted for its cutting-edge amenities and proficiency in bone marrow transplantation is Fortis Memorial Research Institute. It is equipped with a specialised bone marrow transplant unit and a group of knowledgeable haematologists.
Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore: Bone marrow transplantation is one of the several medical specialities in which CMC is recognised as an authority. It features a separate haematology section and provides all necessary services for bone marrow transplant operations.
Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai: Tata Memorial Hospital is renowned for its proficiency in bone marrow transplant treatments. It has a specialised bone marrow transplant unit and a diverse medical staff with hematopoietic stem cell expertise
Allogeneic bone marrow transplant cost in India varies according to some factors such as the location of the hospital, procedure, post-treatment care and most important is the cost of this high quality medical care. Those who are thinking about receiving an allogeneic bone marrow transplant in India should speak with specialised hospitals, go through their particular situation, and enquire about available support services.